|Monterey County Health Department
Salinas, CA 93906
SUPERVISING PUBLIC HEALTH NUTRITIONIST
$5,853 – $7,993 per Month
Final Filing Date: June 20, 2021
Exam # 21/50L80/06RUT
The Health Department’s Public Health Bureau is seeking to fill vacant Supervising Public Health Nutritionist for the CalFresh Healthy Living and Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Programs. The CalFresh Healthy Living program provides nutrition education and obesity prevention to increase health, reduce obesity, and adopt and maintain healthy eating, activity, and lifestyle choices. The WIC Program provides breastfeeding support, nutrition and health education to families to improve eating and physical activity behaviors and provides electronic benefits for specific foods important for good health.
The Supervising Public Health Nutritionist is responsible in supervising paraprofessional and professional staff at multiple worksites. This position provides training and guidance to staff, review and approve educational and program materials, presentations, support budget development, grant request and implementation of State and Federal regulations. The Supervising Public Health Nutritionist will work closely with the Health Program Coordinator/Local Agency WIC Director and Public Health Program Manager to support community coalition efforts, grant reporting, and project evaluation requirements.
A list of eligible candidates resulting from this recruitment may be used to fill current and future full-time or temporary vacancies as they arise.
Examples of Duties
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Will have a proven track record demonstrating the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Human Nutrition principles and their relationship to health and disease.
• Social, cultural, and economic problems of individuals and families as they apply to public health nutrition.
• Principles of adult education and staff development.
• Counseling techniques as related to the field of nutrition.
Skill and Ability to:
• Plan, direct and evaluate the work of subordinate staff.
• Read, interpret, and apply government regulations as they apply to nutrition programs.
• Develop, implement, and evaluate nutrition programs.
• Gather, analyze, and interpret nutritional and patient flow information.
• Write to prepare clear and concise reports and correspondence.
• Establish and maintain effective relationships with those contacted through the course of the work.
• Work with a minimum of supervision.
Characteristics of the Ideal Candidate:
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Strong team leader
• Collaboration and utilization of a team approach
• Sensitivity, both culturally and linguistically
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
Examples of Experience/Education/Training
The knowledge, skills and abilities listed above may be acquired through various types of experience, education or training, typically:
Experience: Two years of experience comparable to the class of Public Health Nutritionist II with Monterey County to include the provision of varied nutritional services to the public of which at least one year should have included lead responsibilities.
• Ability to communicate effectively in English and Spanish is desirable for this position. Bilingual (English/Spanish) candidates must complete and receive a passing score on the bilingual oral and written exam upon hire in order to receive the bilingual pay stipend.
• Experience in lactation counseling is desirable, particularly with an International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC), Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC), or Certified Lactation Educator (CLE) designation.
Conditions of Employment:
• Pursuant to Section 130-10 of the WIC Program Manual, possession of current registration as a Dietitian, credentialed by the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
• Possess and maintain a valid California Class C Driver’s License with a satisfactory driving record or ability to provide suitable transportation approved by the appointing authority.
• Due to the sensitive nature of these positions, the Health Department reserves the right to fingerprint and conduct police background checks of appointees for some positions.
For complete information see the class specification/job description on our website at: https://www2.co.monterey.ca.us/pages/hr/class-specs/50L80.pdf
APPLICATION & SELECTION PROCEDURES
TO APPLY: Submit the following to the Monterey County Health Department, Human Resources Division, 1270 Natividad Road, Salinas, CA 93906 by the Final Closing date: June 20, 2021
• Monterey County Employment Application
• Response to the Supplemental Questions
• Pursuant to Section 130-10 of the WIC Program Manual, possession of current registration as a Dietitian, credentialed by the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Or apply on-line at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/montereycounty/jobs/3096607/supervising-public-health-nutritionist?page=3&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Application materials will be competitively evaluated. Those applicants who are determined to be most appropriately qualified will be invited to participate further in the process. To further assess applicant’s possession of required qualifications, this examination may include an oral examination, pre-exam exercise, performance exercise, performance exam, and/or written examination.
For more information or to receive application materials, contact the Health Department Human Resources Division at 831-755-4519.
Employment is contingent upon acceptable documentation verifying identity and authorization for employment in the United States.
If you are hired into this classification in a temporary position, your salary will be hourly, and you will not be eligible for the benefits listed below.
The County offers an excellent benefits package (Unit F)
The County of Monterey offers a premium benefit package. A summary of benefits for this position can be viewed on the County website. This information is intended to provide you with a general summary of benefits available and is not legally binding. The benefits listed in the Monterey County Personnel Policies & Practices Resolutions or “F” MOU prevails over this listing.
An Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace