As we move into the holiday season, many of us will be busy spending time with friends, family, and cooking beautiful meals that will be posted on social media. Volunteering is probably the last thing on your mind and that is completely normal! Most people view volunteering as a daunting task that requires an extensive amount of time and effort, and in some cases, it does. However, volunteerism presents a unique opportunity to showcase your strengths, explore your interests, and widen your professional network. For example, many years ago I was actively job searching for a position in public health nutrition, while I was also serving on the executive board for my local district. At one of the district meetings, I connected with someone who told me about a job opening that I might be interested in. I applied for that job and eight years later, I am still working there! For these reasons, I strongly encourage each of you to devote time in engaging with our professional organization, as you will never know where the next path will take you. Below are some engagement activities you can complete this fall:
Join Your Local District or Region
- Did you know that the CA Academy is divided into eight districts and two regions? By joining your local chapter, you can engage with your dietetic peers and enhance your professional network. Find your local district or region, by logging into the member dashboard and selecting your respected district/region.
- The Los Angeles Region is back! Last year, the Los Angeles District transitioned to a regional model, and we are seeking volunteers who live in Los Angeles County to help form a Los Angeles Region (LAR) committee. The committee will be responsible for leading, planning and implementing activities for members in this region. If you are interesting in joining the committee, please complete the Los Angeles Region Committee Interest Google form by December 5, 2022.
Attend Our Town Hall Meeting
- We are hosting a virtual town hall meeting on Thursday, December 8th from 5:30 pm – 7 pm and it will be open to both members and non-members. The purpose of the town hall is to provide an opportunity to have an open dialogue with the CA Academy Executive Board about our policies and practices and receive feedback on current and future initiative. Registration for the town hall will be available in the coming weeks.
Complete the Action Alert to Stop Medicare Payment Cuts for Registered Dietitians
- Registered Dietitians are facing a nearly 8.5% cut in their Medicare Part B Payments.Set to take effect on January 1, 2023, the payment reduction is a combination of two separate cuts. The first is a 4.42% cut created by a Medicare budget neutrality rule that requires Medicare to offset any increases it makes in the payment rates to any codes. The second, would be a 4% “PAYGO” cut triggered by spending in the American Rescue Act COVID-19 relief legislation.
- Introduced by Representative Bera (CA) and Bucshon (IN), the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is championing the Supporting Medicare Providers Act of 2022 (H.R. 8800) to address the 4.42% cut.
- For Academy members, complete the Action Alert to Support Medicare Providers Act of 2022 (HR 8800) to address the payment cuts.
- For non-Academy members, complete the public Action Alert.
Have a safe and healthy holiday season!
Fatinah Darwish-Elsherbiny, MPH, RDN
California Academy President 2022-2023