The California Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (CA Academy) is a non-profit (501c6) member affiliate of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. CA Academy’s members include approximately 6,500 registered dietitian nutritionists (RDNs), nutrition dietetic technicians registered (NDTRs) and students committed to improving California’s health and advancing the profession of dietetics through research, education, and advocacy.
The CA Academy is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage all applicants to apply, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
The California Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation (CA Academy Foundation) is a non-profit (501c3) organization that promotes optimal health and nutritional status of the public by supporting quality dietetics practice, education, and research. CA Academy Foundation is the philanthropic arm of the California Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
The Executive Director is the operational leader of California Academy and California Academy Foundation. The Executive Director in collaboration with the Executive Board is responsible for overseeing the organizations’ overall operations, ensuring that all activities support the mission, vision, and strategic plan and that the organizations are operating efficiently and effectively to meet organizational goals. The Executive Director along with the Executive Board are the public face of CA Academy and CA Academy Foundation, interfacing with members, educational institutions, vendors, sponsors, government officials, and the public. The Executive Director is accountable to the CA Academy Executive Board, and the President serves as the chief liaison between the Board and the Executive Director. The Executive Director works collaboratively with the CA Academy Executive Board, and the President serves as the chief liaison between the Board and the Executive Director. The Executive Director communicates and engages with the President to ensure alignment over the mission, strategy and direction of the CA Academy to promote organizational growth. The Executive Director serves as an ex-officio board member to the boards of CA Academy and the CA Academy Foundation. Facilitates the day to day operations of the CA Academy including the administrative functions of the organization.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS (Including but not limited to)
- Communicates effectively with CA Academy and CA Academy Foundation Boards and provides, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Boards to function efficiently and effectively and to meet organizational goals and member
- Partners with the CA Academy Executive Board and CA Academy Foundation Board to develop and implement strategic plans that meet business goals, vision, and mission and promote the affiliate organization and its
- Identifies, develops, and maintains funding resources, including member rebates, grants, donations, and industry sponsorship/support.
- Provides support for all events, such as Annual Conference, Leadership Institute, Public Policy workshop, Webinar Education program, online meetings, conference calls, and in- person board
- Oversees fiscal management of both organizations, including facilitation of the annual budget, distribution of funds in cooperation with the CA Academy Secretary/Treasurer and CA Academy Foundation Secretary/Treasurer, management and communication of budget performance, supervision of a bookkeeper, and submission of annual tax forms (prepared by a vendor/CPA).
- Develops, maintains, and supports positive relationships via outstanding interpersonal communication skills with key stakeholders, including government agencies, community organizations, universities, media, and
- Responsible for the oversight of temporary or permanent paid
- Assists state and district appointed and elected volunteer leaders, as needed and in collaboration with the CA Academy and CA Academy Foundation Boards, to ensure volunteers’ success in their respective
- Facilitates and supports a positive culture of transparency, collaboration, and communication throughout the
- Proactively identifies and addresses challenges in the internal and external environment to protect organizational interests.
- Serves as a member of all councils and committees
- Communicates and engages with the President to ensure activities are in alignment with the mission, vision, and strategies of CA
- Provides administrative support as needed to the Executive Board, CA Academy Foundation, councils and
- Approximately 90-95% of work time for CA Academy and 5-10% work time for CA Academy Foundation.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Nutrition, Dietetics, Business or related field and master’s degree in Nutrition, Dietetics, Business, or related
- Minimum ten years of management experience working with cross-functional teams and managing budgets and projects to include three to five years of experience in marketing and/or marketing communication and working with
- Demonstrated outstanding professional skills in verbal and written communication, oral presentations, program planning, relationship development management, and
- Competence in multiple computer applications/platforms: Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook; Content Management System; social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram; virtual meeting platforms/services; and online document sharing sites like Google Drive or
- Understanding of and experience with financial strategies and finance-related performance
- Understanding of tax laws for non-profit and not-for-profit
- Knowledge of and experience working with volunteer board and managing
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task
- Experience with implementing activities and strategic plans related to inclusion, diversity, equity, and access.
In addition to the minimum requirements, the following is preferred:
- Previous association management experience and/or experience with a professional
- Registered Dietitian/Registered Dietitian Nutritionist credentialed through the Commission on Dietetic Registration with minimum five years of professional work experience related to nutrition and
- If Registered Dietitian/Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics with good
- Remote or home office environment based in California
- Travel of up to 25% to support and attend events such as FNCE, CA Academy Advocacy Summit, CA Academy Annual Conference, CA Academy Leadership Summit, and CA Academy district events
- Work evenings and weekends when requested (or other availability required outside of defined work schedule).
CONDUCT AND PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS
- Demonstrates accountability, integrity, and initiative
- Models and upholds the Academy Code of Ethics
- Models and supports quality improvement and performance improvement activities
- Models and demonstrates proficiency in collaboration, driving results, business acumen, and communication
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The Executive Director is a full-time, salaried position and the compensation range is $85,000 to $100,000 commensurate with education and experience. Medical and dental benefits negotiable.
PLEASE SUBMIT RESUME AND THREE (3) REFERENCES TO
Review of application begins on August 31, 2021 and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.