Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist / CDCES
Salinas Valley Medical Clinic
Location: Salinas, California
Salinas Valley Medical Clinic (SVMC) is part of the Salinas Valley Memorial Healthcare System. SVMC has been providing care since 2009, operating with over 150 providers and numerous specialties. SVMC strives to meet healthcare needs of all patients to improve the health and well-being of our community. The company’s vision is to be a center of excellence where an inspired team delivers compassionate and culturally sensitive care, outstanding quality, and an exceptional patient experience.
Apply for Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist / CDCES using the link below:
For further questions contact Diana Jacobo firstname.lastname@example.org
Responsible for providing individualized diabetes self-management education/training to individuals and groups according to the Scope of Practice, Standards of Practice, and Standards of Professional performance for Diabetes Educators (AADC, 2009).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES Includes but not limited to the following:
- Collects DSMES program participant assessment data in a collaborative and ongoing manner.
- Collaboratively develops educational goals, learning objectives and a plan for educational content and teaching methods with DSMES program participants.
- Provides educational interventions that utilize primarily interactive, collaborative, skill-based training methods and maximizes the use of interactive training methods.
- Collaboratively develops an individualized follow-up plan with each program participant.
- Evaluates effectiveness of educational services provided by measuring attainment of learning objectives.
- Conducts a follow-up assessment upon completion of DSMES program services, using outcome measures
- Documents assessment data, educational plan, educational services provided and evaluation results in each participant’s educational records.
- Utilizes a team approach to provide services and collaborates and communicates with team members when needed.
- Identifies when a program participant’s needs are outside the scope of the instructor’s practice and expertise, plus arranges for additional services to meet needs.
- Participates in the development of training materials.
- Contributes to, and participates in, a continuous quality improvement process to measure DSMES program and to identify and address opportunities for improvement.
- Appraises his/her performance to identify areas of strength and areas for improvement and to develop a plan for improvement and growth.
- Participates in peer review process to evaluate performance of other professional instructional staff.
CREDENTIALS, EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Registered Dietitian with active registration by the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the American Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics or Registered Nurse with active registration by the California Board of Registered Nursing; certification and/or licensure as required by the state of practice.
- Must have an Associates or bachelor degree in a related field and experience in managing chronic illness, particularly diabetes. Master’s degree preferred.
- Current certification as a Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specials (CDCES) or eligible to become a CDCES within two years, is required. Once eligible, must take and pass the CDCES exam within 6 months.
- Minimum of 6 months experience (preferably more) providing diabetes education in both a group and 1:1 setting.
- If not currently a CDCES, must maintain 15 diabetes-related contact hours per year until credentialed as a CDCES as approved by CBDCE.
REQUIRED: Bilingual in Spanish
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Due to the Health Care Worker Mandate, we require all health care employees to be vaccinated. You must be vaccinated or have a valid medical or religious exemption from receiving a COVID-19 vaccine.